The Level 1 Culinary Skills qualifications supports your training to become a chef or progress to Level 2 Diploma in Professional Cookery. You'll gain a high standard of cookery skills and have the option to learn other workplace essentials like health and safety and food safety in a kitchen.
The Culinary Skills qualifications are for anyone who works or wants to work as a chef in the catering and hospitality sector. It is ideal for learners coming straight from school who wish to seek a career in this industry.
The units your will study are as follows (Subject to change via City & Guilds)
- Food safety in catering
- Introduction to employability in the catering and hospitality industry
- Health and safety awareness for catering and hospitality
- Introduction to healthier foods and special diets
- Introduction to kitchen equipment
- Prepare and cook food by boiling, poaching, and steaming
- Prepare and cook food by stewing and braising
- Prepare and cook food by baking, roasting and grilling
- Prepare and cook food by deep frying and shallow frying
- Regeneration of pre-prepared food
- Cold food preparation
Entry Requirements top
Learners will need an interview prior to enrolment, Maths and English will be embedded into the timetable to support ongoing academic development (19 and under).
Assessment is by a serious of practical assessment and the development of a written portfolio of evidence.
Professional Opportunities top
You can progress to the Level 2 Diploma in Professional Cookery or our City and Guilds Diploma in Food and Beverage Service Level 2 course.