This qualification provides learners with an in-depth understanding of the knowledge and skills needed when working directly with children and young people in school and college environments. It covers all aspects of specialist support, including: planning; delivering and reviewing assessment strategies to support learning alongside the teacher; bilingual support; special needs support; and personal development and reflective practice.
- Schools and colleges as organisations
- Support health and safety in a learning environment
- Understand how to safeguard children and young people
- Develop professional relationships with children, young people and adults
- Understand how children and young people develop
- Support positive behaviour in children and young people
- Support children and young people during learning activities
- Support English and maths skills
- Support the use of ICT in the learning environment
- Support assessment for learning
- Engage in personal and professional development
- Support children and young people’s speech, language and communication
- Understand how to support bilingual learners
- Understand how to support learning of children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities
- Support children and young people during transitions
- Support the role of play, leisure and extra-curricular activities for children and young people
Entry Requirements top
Progression from level 2 STL course.
You will be assessed via coursework, observations, professional discussions, placement and reflective work.
Professional Opportunities top
Employment as a level 3 teaching assistant in a primary, secondary school or a college.
Further Information top
You will complete 3 days in college per week and 2 days placement per week
You will receive a placement t-shirt provided by the college.