Would you like to learn more about dementia?
Do you already work with people with dementia but would like to gain a professional qualification?
This qualification aims to assist learners to develop their knowledge and understanding of the principles of caring for those with dementia. It covers areas such as;
- Implementing person-centred care
- The influence of positive communication methods
- Issues around the use of medication for those with dementia
- The importance of equality, diversity and inclusion in dementia care.
This qualification can be used to support the underpinning knowledge and understanding needed for those working in or towards a dementia care role.
To be awarded the Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of Dementia Care learners are required to successfully complete 7 mandatory units:
- Unit 01 Dementia awareness
- Unit 02 The person-centred approach to the care and support of individuals with dementia
- Unit 03 Understand the factors that can influence communication and interaction with individuals who have dementia
- Unit 04 Understand equality, diversity and inclusion in dementia care
- Unit 05 Understand the administration of medication to individuals with dementia using a person-centred approach
- Unit 06 Understand behaviour in the context of dementia
- Unit 07 Understand the benefits of engaging in activities in social care
There are no formal entry requirements but candidates should be prepared to write assignments and commit to independent study. Experience of the health and social care sector is desirable however the course can also be accessed by those interested in progressing to work in the field of Health and Social care or where the content supports a CPD opportunity.
The course is assessed by your tutor or assessor using a range of methods. This could include a portfolio of evidence including written assignments and professional discussions.
Completion of this course provides a continued professional development opportunity and could lead to further study with the health and care sector. Potential employment opportunities may include; care assistant in residential settings or supported living, healthcare support workers in community and primary care environments and healthcare assistants in acute health environments.