Course Finder

Find the course you’re looking for

Whether you want to study a full-time or part-time course, continue onto Higher Education or go hands on with an apprenticeship or traineeship, we can help you find the right choice for you.


Please select your options from the dropdown menus below. If you require any assistance, please call us on 0191 427 3900.


Financial help with your studies

At South Tyneside College, many students do not have to pay for their course tuition fees; they are paid by the Government or the College on your behalf. Some students are also eligible for extra help with costs such as childcare, books, travel, trips and equipment.

This page gives you more information about whether you are eligible for help with your fees. It also tells you about the help which is available towards study costs. This applies to UK/EU students only. If you are an

Overseas student, you will normally have to pay for your course fees.

Students aged under 19 - help with your course fees

If you are aged 16-18 and you are not studying elsewhere, you do not have to pay for your course fees for the majority of courses.

Help with study costs

If you are aged under 19, you may be able to gain financial help towards the costs of coming to College. This can include money for extras such as travel, books, childcare, equipment and course trips.

The following sources of help are available:

We want to make coming to college as affordable as possible. South Tyneside College has a bursary scheme for students that will help with the costs associated with studying.

South Tyneside College’s financial assistance scheme provides cash payments of £1200 pro-rata to under 19 year olds that are living in care, recent care leavers, claiming income support / universal credit in their own right, or in receipt of employment and support allowance, as well as disability living allowance / personal independence payment.

Under 19 year old students from households that live more than a mile away from their chosen centre of study may be eligible for a travel pass. Students studying on courses that require essential equipment/kit will also be able to apply for assistance. Funds are distributed on a first come first served basis therefore we advise that early applications are made.

Applications for financial assistance are subject to a means test, forms are available from Student Services on the front main reception desk, or by telephoning 0191 427 3900.

Free Meals

The government have extended the Free Meals Offer to include students studying in further education colleges. If you received this entitlement whilst at secondary school you will be required to fill in an application form and be subject to a means test. Please contact Student Services for more information.

Childcare Support

If you are a parent, you could be entitled to help with childcare costs. Care to Learn is an allowance of up to £160 per week for each child. This allowance is paid directly to your childcare provider on a monthly basis. It is not dependent on your family income so all students aged under 20 who have children are eligible to apply. To request an application pack visit Student Services, call 0800 121 8989 or visit

Residential Bursary Scheme

• Amounts awarded are based upon the number of applications received.

• Applicants must be travelling from outside of the North East,

  or demonstrate that travelling time on public transport would be more than one hour for a single journey.

• To request an application form please contact Student Services on 0191 427 3900.

Students aged 19+ - help with your course fees

Adults aged 19+ may have to pay for their course fees. However, the UK Government or South Tyneside College will help with course fees on some funded courses if you are:

Studying for courses up to Level 2 (all ages) and including Level 3 (19-23 year olds)

• in receipt of JSA (including those receiving national insurance credits only)

• in receipt of ESA (WRAG group)

• receiving Universal Credit and mandated to attend the course

• declare at enrolment that you are actively searching and preparing for work and in receipt of either ESA, incapacity benefit, income support or DLA

You may also be entitled to fee remission if you are 19+ and:

• Applying for your first full Level 2 course (aged 19 - 23)

• Applying for your first full Level 3 course (aged 19 - 23) and do not hold a previous Level 2 qualification e.g. (5 GCSEs or O levels at Grade C or above)

• Under 24 years of age and applying for a first full Level 3

• Studying maths and English language GCSE and do not already hold a C grade in these subjects

• Studying aims that are Adult Basic Skills certificates and functional skills in Maths and English (excluding ESOL basic skills)

• Studying for Entry Level or a Level 1 qualification and requiring a step-up from basic skills in order to progress to a full Level 2 (aged 19-23)

Please note: The above does not apply to full-cost or higher education courses. Please contact Student Services on 0191 427 3900 for details.

Some learners over 19 who are completing courses as part of their employment might not receive funding if the course is not their first full Level 2. This is known as workplace learning and can be delivered in the

workplace or at College. Please speak to Student Services to check your funding status

FE Loans

FE loans are available for students aged over 19 wanting to study full Level 3 qualifications as well as approved courses at levels 4 and 5 from September 2016. Rather than having to pay for courses up front students will be able to access a loan that they will repay once they have left the course and are earning over £21,000.

If your loan is for the Access Programme to Higher Education (APHE) and you progress to complete a Higher Education programme, you will not have to pay back your FE loan.

More information and application forms are available on the following website:

Help with study costs

If you are aged 19+, you may be able to gain financial help towards the costs of coming to College. This can include money for extras such as travel, books, childcare, equipment and course trips.

Learner Support Fund

There is financial assistance for students to help with the ongoing cost of studying, e.g. equipment (certain conditions apply), child care or travel to College. Priority is given to learners experiencing financial difficulties. The fund is means tested and you will be required to provide evidence of your household income. Regardless of your income, you may also be eligible for the fund if you feel you need assistance. For example if you are medically ill, in-care, adults on a first Level 2 qualification, have a disability, have learning difficulties or are a Skills for Life learner.

19+ students in receipt of fee remission will not be eligible for equipment costs from the Learner Support Fund. Instead they will be able to loan a kit from the Department or can opt to purchase one.

The funds are limited so if you wish to apply, please do so as early as possible.

Application forms are available from Student Services, or telephone 0191 427 3900.

Professional and Career Development Loans

(aged 18+)

Bank loans that can be used to help pay for work related learning, You can borrow between £300 and £10,000 to help support the cost of up to two years of learning (or three years if it includes one year’s relevant unpaid practical work). The SFA will pay the interest on the loan while you are learning and for one month afterwards. The loan can be used to pay course fees or other costs such as travel and living expenses. You can also use the loan to supplement other forms of support such as grants or bursaries.

Because the Professional and Career Development Loan is a commercial loan product, they should only be considered as an option once all other student funding options have been investigated. For further information on financial assistance to support your learning, please visit or call Careers Advice on 0800 100 900.

Overseas Students - including asylum seeker students

Overseas students normally have to pay for their course. Please contact Student Services for the full cost of the course on 0191 427 3900. There are no benefits currently available to non-EU students.

Higher Education learners

Students studying on higher education courses at South Tyneside College can request a copy of our HE Money Matters guide or visit the following government website for information on the grants and loans available.

If you require any further information or a funding application form please

contact us by telephone or call in person and we will be happy to help:

Student Services,

Main reception

Westoe campus,

T: 0191 427 3900,




South Tyneside College makes all reasonable efforts to ensure that published information is up-to date and accurate. However the College reserves the right to make changes to services without notice (Dec 2016)