Is your child/grandchild at primary school and you would like to help them with their homework but you feel a little lost? Perhaps things have changed since you were at school and you don’t really understand the way your child is being taught? This short-course will introduce you to the skills and knowledge your children are expected to cover while in the primary phase of education. The course is taught in 2 hour sessions that will allow you to gain an insight into the principles of the primary maths and English curriculum and cross-curricular teaching, assessments and positive feedback and meeting attainment targets. You will also be introduced to the methods currently used in the primary classroom through interactive tasks tailored to your own needs.
The programme will be based around the following topic areas:
- What happens in primary maths and English lessons
- What does the primary maths and English curriculum include?
- How schools offer cross-curricular teaching.
- Using assessments well (including formative and summative assessments).
- Giving positive feedback for children.
- How do you know your child is meeting their attainment targets?
After completing the course successful applicants may wish to apply for the ‘Introduction to Supporting Teaching and Learning’ short-course or the ‘Supporting Teaching and Learning (STL) level 2’ one year programme.